CARREFOUR, PORT AU PRINCE AND PORT SALUT REGIONS
January 19 - February 2, 2019
Trip Code: HA0119
Team Size: 14 (Check Team Status)
Application Due Date by September 20, 2018
Acceptance Notification by October 1, 2018
Team Leader: Cassy Leach
Minimum Donation Amount: $3,110
Note: Applying for a team does not guarantee acceptance. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by the estimated date notification.
PHH has been deploying medical teams to Haiti since the devastating 2010 earthquake and the needs there continue to be extreme. The team will travel out to clinic locations each day and return to the guest house each evening as we continue to provide health care and health education services to the people in Haiti who are still in desperate need of assistance.
During the course of this trip team members can expect to provide health care and health education services to more than 1500 patients.
The primary focus for this team is to provide general health care and health education services. We seek licensed health care professionals including but not limited to the following:
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Assistants
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- EMS Personnel
- Students pursuing degrees in healthcare professions
- Non-Medical Support Personnel
We welcome both medical and non-medical volunteers with a spirit of adventure and determination to partake in a culturally sensitive growth opportunity while helping others in need of our services. Above all you must be willing to work as a team for the common goal of our mission.
This trip requires a level of fitness to be able to participate in the activities as described:
- Amount of in-country travel: Moderate. The team will spend the first week of the trip in Villa Orison as their home base and then transfer to the Port Salut region for the second week via a four hour bus trip. Once in Port Salut, the team will travel out and back daily to remote clinic sites in open air pickup trucks over unimproved roads.
- Sleeping arrangements: Team members will stay in guesthouse, secure and comfortable. Team members will share a room, up to fiver team members per room.
- Running water/electricity:Running water and electricity is available at the housing area, although water is not heated. Clinic locations will not have water and/or electricity.
- Internet/Mobile: Limited Internet service is available while in Port Salut. Mobile phone service is available throughout much of the country.
- Physical requirements: The physical activity level for this team is rated at Moderate. Team members should be able to tolerate hot and humid weather. (temperatures average between 90 & 95 degrees F). Air conditioning will not be available to them. Team members may be asked to assist in lifting heavy luggage.
Provided by Project Helping Hands
- Round trip domestic airfare (from a major airport, does not include regional airports)
- Round trip international airfare (from USA departure point to Haiti)
- All in-country air and ground transportation while in Haiti
- All applicable visa fees
- Airport departure taxes
- International travel Insurance
- All meals and drinking water while in Haiti (does not provide for specialized diets such a vegetarian, vegan, gluten free)
- Housing while in Haiti
- Project Helping Hands team deployment package (shirt, name tag, trip of purpose letter)
- Transportation, meals, and any fees associated with the one day sightseeing activity on the team’s day off
Not Provided by Project Helping Hands
- Airline baggage fees
- Meals or lodging in the USA due to a forced layover
- Passport fees
- Fees associated with vaccinations or malaria prophylaxis
- Personal gear
- Personal choice food or snacks either home or acquired within destination country
- Any costs incurred outside of Haiti