UGANDA - COMMUNITIES AND VILLAGES
August 25 - September 8, 2018
Trip Code: UG0918
Team Size: 20 (Team Status)
Application Due Date: May 10, 2018
Acceptance Notification by May 20, 2018
Team Leadership: Lesa-Beth Titus
Minimum Donation Amount: $3,950.00
Note: Applying for a team does not guarantee acceptance. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application in the estimated date notification.
Since 2011 Project Helping Hands has been sending teams to Kampala, Uganda in the regions of Kawempe and Nangaiza.
Our team Leader Lesa-Beth is leading her third team to the region. PHH volunteers teach community health sessions and provide health, dental, and vision services with a set up a week-long clinic that serve. In our last trip in September 2017 we serve over 1,824 patients with a big emphasis in education.
The team will arrive at Entebbe Airport in the morning. Once the team has cleared customs they will be transported to Kampala where will spend the first nights. Each location will have a "Home Base" for housing where the team travels out and back each daytrip.
The following morning you will load back into the vans and be transported into the community of Kawempe where the team will spend the first few days of the trip providing daily healthcare clinics and health education services in this community. This is the same location where our teams have been providing health care and health education services since our first team in January of 2011.
For the remainder of the trip, the team will move to the rural community of Nangaiza where they will be providing general health clinics and education services to the local people. Nangaiza is located between Pallisa and Mbale.
The final day the team is transported back to Nairobi for their flights home.
There will be an optional trip extension (Safari) offered to team members.The safari will visit National Parks and include many wildlife viewing opportunities. More details on this optional activity will be posted in the website.
The primary focus for this team is to provide general health care and health education services. We seek licensed health care professionals including but not limited to the following!
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- EMS Personnel
- Student Nurses
- Non-Medical Support Personnel
We welcome both medical and non-medical volunteers with a spirit of adventure and determination to partake in a culturally sensitive growth opportunity while helping others in need of our services. Above all you must be willing to work as a team for the common goal of our mission!
This trip require a level of fitness to be able to participate in the activities as describe:
- Amount of in-country travel: Minimal -including a trip from the airport to the Hotel (approximately 60 minutes). The daily trips in Kampala will include trips of approximately ten minutes from the hotel to the clinic site. The travel from Kampala to the rural location (Nangaiza) is approximately 4 hours by bus.
- Sleeping arrangements: Team members will stay in a hotel in Kampala with showers and running water (not guaranteed to be hot). Most team members will share a room. In Nangaiza, the team will stay in a hotel and travel about thirty minutes out and back to the clinic location.
- Running water/electricity: Running water and electricity is available at the hotel, but will not be available at the clinic sites.
- Internet/Cellular: Limited Internet service is available at the hotel in Kampala, there is no access to the Internet in Nangaiza. Cellular service is available throughout the country.
- Physical requirements: The physical activity level for this team is rated at Moderate.Team members should be able to tolerate hot and humid weather. (temperatures average between 85 & 95 degrees) Team members may be asked to assist in lifting baggage and medical supplies Team members should be in fair to good physical condition.
Provided by Project Helping Hands
- Round trip Domestic Airfare (from a major airport, does not include regional airports)
- Round trip International Airfare (From USA departure point to destination country)
- All in-country air and ground transportation (All transportation while in our host country)
- All applicable VISA fees
- Airport departure taxes
- International Travel Insurance
- All meals and drinking water while in our host country (does not provide for specialized diets such a vegetarian, vegan, gluten free)
- Housing while in our host country (Varies depending on specific trip from Hotels to School house floors to camping)
- Project Helping Hands team deployment package (shirt, name tag, trip of purpose letter)
- Transportation, meals and any fees associated with the one day sightseeing activity on the teams day off
Not Provided by Project Helping Hands
- Airline baggage fees
- Meals or lodging in the USA due to a forced layover
- Passport Fees
- Fees associated with vaccinations or malaria prophylaxis
- Personal Gear
- Personal choice food or snacks either home or acquired within destination country
- Any costs incurred outside of Uganda